Our Services


Shipping to Canada

Before you Ship
Documentation is a critical part of trans border shipping. The following documentations are needed to ensure safe and timely movement of cargo into the United States. Missing documentation can result in costly delays at the border.


• Shipper's Bill of Lading
A properly completed shipper’s Bill of Lading should have following information:

  • Shipper’s name and address
  • Country of Origin
  • Consignee’s name
  • Destination full address
  • Shipper’s or Consignee’s order number
  • Shipment gross weight
  • Number of pieces in the consignment
  • Proper description of the product being shipped


• Commercial Invoice
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) requires a completed invoice, necessary for assessing duty. It must be accurate and include: supplier's name and address, a detailed description of the merchandise including quantity, weights and measurements as well as the purchase price and terms of sale. The Commercial Invoice should show the country of origin, consignee’s IRS number and the name of the custom broker. (Note it is very important that the quantity/number of pieces and weight match exactly the information on the Bill of Lading)


• Export Declaration

  • Generally, an Export Declaration (Can. form B-13) is no longer required for shipments to the United States unless the value of the goods is over $2,000 (Canadian) and will be in transit through the U.S. or are being stored in the U.S. for ultimate re-export to another country


• Exporter's Certificate of Origin
Under the NAFTA (North America Free Trade Agreement), Duties or Taxes on certain goods made in the U.S.A. or Canada have been, or soon will be, reduced or eliminated. To benefit from this agreement, exporters/manufacturers must determine whether their goods qualify under the Rules of Origin. These agreed upon Rules of Origin define those goods and materials which are entitled to Free Trade Agreement benefits. The exporter must complete a U.S./Canada FTA Exporter's Certificate of Origin and send a copy of it to the importer. This is not a transportation document and is not required to accompany the shipment. However, to claim benefits under the FTA at the time of entry, the importer must possess the Exporter's Certificate of Origin. It must be available if requested by customs. Customs officials in both Canada and the U.S. will accept either country's certificates. But, if the certificate is not available, the FTA benefits will not be applied and the appropriate Most Favored Nation tariff will be applied. If you have any questions about the Free Trade Agreement or the use of the Certificate of Origin, contact your customs broker.

email: aml@amlintl.ca